Tuesday, January 31, 2012


For the last month or so, I've been thinking about writing a new novel. It's still in the very preliminary stages, which for me means sketching out possible plots, imagining characters, and making a lot of notes on worldbuilding. Ironically, I've barely touched the question of religion, and don't imagine that I'll spend a lot of time on it for this project; instead, most of my research has been on technology. Go figure.



Part of what motivated me to start writing was Mike and Ann's blog, which I'll recommend to anyone who's reading this and doesn't already visit it. The advice they give is sensible without being obvious, encouraging without being patronizing. After spending many nights reading websites for writers, I've found that that's an uncommon combination.

I've also been making an effort to go through Elizabeth Craig's site, especially her weekly collection of links. They're not all applicable to writers of every sort, but when you're getting a few dozen each week, there's bound to be something in there worth reading and considering. Just be sure to give yourself enough time to follow the ones you like. It's not quite a devourer of hours, but it's easy to get lost in the web of advice.

When I have some more concrete thoughts on the novel, I'll put them here, together with useful links, more posts on worldbuilding, and the occasional ramble about the entire process of writing. I'm also open to suggestions about websites that other people have found useful in the past. My inner magpie is an avid collector of small, shiny bits of information.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the compliments. I know I've said elsewhere, but I'm glad to hear you've found a story to get excited about.

    ReplyDelete